People use hemp seeds and oils to produce a variety of food products including hemp milk, hemp oil, hemp cheese substitutes, and hemp-based protein powder. Hemp seeds are a nutrient-dense foodstuff with a variety of uses. People often use hemp seeds as part of savory and sweet dishes for their mild, nutty flavor.
Nutritional breakdown of hemp –
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture National Nutrient Database Trusted Source, a 3 tbsp serving of hemp seeds weighing 30 g contains:
- 166 calories
- 48 g of protein
- 6 g of fat
- 6 g of carbohydrates
- 2 g of fiber
- 21 mg of calcium
- 38 mg of iron
- 210 mg of magnesium
- 495 mg of phosphorus
- 360 mg of potassium
- 97 mg of zinc
- 33 micrograms (mcg) of folate
- Vitamins C, B, A, and E
Include hemp in your favorite items, here are 3 ways to do so...
Cacao and Hemp Protein Balls
Level – Easy
- 1/2 cup hemp flour
- 2 tbs hemp protein
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tbs hemp seeds
- 1 tbs desiccated coconut
- 1 tbs cacao powder
- Place all the protein ball ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and combined.
- Combine the decorating ingredients in a separate small bowl.
- Roll the protein ball mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and then roll in decorating mixture and coat well.
- Place on a baking paper-lined tray and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Savoury Hemp Popcorn
Level – Easy
- 1 tbs hemp oil/ Ghee
- 1 tbs hemp butter
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp hemp sauce
- 1/2 tsp herb salt
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 225 g popcorn kernels
- Heat the butter in a pan. Place one piece of corn in the fat and wait to pop. Now place the remaining corn in the pan and cover. Shake until popping has stopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix hemp oil, Hemp sauce, garlic, herb salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Drizzle over popcorn and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Strawberry, Coconut & Lime Smoothie
Level - Easy
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked for 2-4 hours, rinsed, and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 frozen banana cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 Medjool dates pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups ice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon hemp hearts
- Combine all of the ingredients in your blender in the order listed above.
- Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides of the blender if necessary.
- Pour into two glasses and top each with ½ teaspoon of hemp hearts.