One sunny afternoon, I found myself in the mood for a warm and hearty meal. As I rummaged through my pantry and fridge, I realized that I also wanted to add some extra protein to my dish. It was then that I spotted a bag of hemp hearts that I had recently purchased.
I decided to experiment and add the hemp hearts to my dal recipe, hoping that it would create a delicious and nutritious dish. I began by soaking the red lentils and chopping up the onion and garlic. As I sautéed the onion and garlic and added the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder, the aroma of the spices filled my kitchen, and I couldn't wait to taste the final product.
After adding the chopped tomatoes and lentils, I let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes before finally adding the hemp hearts. I let everything cook for a few more minutes and stirred the pot, feeling confident that this was going to be a delicious and protein-packed meal.
As the dal cooked, I couldn't wait to taste the final product. Finally, it was ready. I ladled it into a bowl and garnished it with chopped cilantro and a lemon wedge. With my first bite, I savoured the rich and complex flavours of the spices, the creaminess of the lentils, and the nutty crunch of the hemp hearts.
I felt proud of myself for creating a new and nutritious dish, and I couldn't wait to share it with my friends and family. I knew that I would definitely be making this again on future afternoons when I was craving dal and needed some extra protein in my meal.
- 1 cup of split red lentils
- 1 cup of hemp hearts
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Lemon wedges (for garnish)
- Rinse the red lentils thoroughly and soak them in water for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat up some oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until it turns translucent.
- Add in the minced garlic, cumin seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and chilli powder. Mix well and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Drain the soaked red lentils and add them to the pot.
- Add the vegetable broth and stir everything together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add in the hemp hearts and mix well.
- Let the mixture cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until the lentils and hemp hearts are soft and fully cooked.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro and a lemon wedge.
This dal recipe with hemp hearts is a great way to add some extra nutrition to a classic Indian dish. The hemp hearts provide a boost of protein, fiber, and healthy fats, while the lentils and spices create a delicious and warming meal. Enjoy!